Tax Credits: 1098T Tuition Statement

The federal government offers two tuition tax credit programs, American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning, to help pay for higher education costs. If you meet certain conditions, you can qualify for a reduction on your federal income tax bill.

To ensure your payment is credited to the tax year of your choice, please make your payment online in the appropriate year.  Please be advised that when the college is closed, payments received in the mail will be credited after the college reopens and postmarks will not be considered.

To view or print your Form 1098T Tuition Statement

  • Go to the Login link at the top of the page, select MyFinances and enter your User Name and Password.
  • Select the eStatements tab.
  • Under the 1098T Tax Statement section, click the View button next to the form needed.
  • You can also retrieve your form by logging into MyJCCC, click on MyRecords tab, then click 1098T Tax Notification and enter tax year.

Web Browser Information

The 1098T form is best viewed through Internet Explorer. If you are using Firefox, Chrome, or Safari, the default PDF viewer is often not compatible with the 1098T format. You will need to change your browser plugin settings to use Adobe Reader instead, or follow on-screen prompts to use Adobe or alternate viewer to display the document.

Please contact the Bursar's Office at 913-469-2567 with any questions.

To Update Your Tax Information

The information on Form 1098T will help you determine if you or parents of a dependent student may be eligible to take the American Opportunity Credit/Hope Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit to reduce federal income tax.

The college will need the student's correct Social Security Number (SSN) and current tax address. To update your tax information, please complete Form W-9.

Form W-9 (PDF) is available online or in the Bursar’s Office located in GEB 115.This information is confidential and will only be used for tax reporting purposes.

Please do not email your completed W-9 form.

Please return Form W-9 in person to the Bursar’s Office or by mail to the following address:

Johnson County Community College
12345 College Blvd.
GEB 115, Box 3
Overland Park KS 66210-1299

Note: Providing a change of address on Form W-9 does not update your student mailing and residency address. You will also need to complete a Change of Address Form and return it to Admissions to process.

American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credits

The American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit are tax credits that may be available to you if you pay higher education costs. A tax credit reduces the amount of income tax you may have to pay. Unlike a deduction, which reduces the amount of income subject to tax, a credit directly reduces the tax itself.

For additional information about the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, consult your tax adviser or request IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education, by contacting the IRS at 800-829-1040.

JCCC will not provide tax advice.